It was the 16th century when the first tanners settled in Pécs, one of the most ancient settlements of Hungary, with a history of over 2000 years.
A native of Pécs, János Hamerly mastered the glove manufacturing in German and Chez craftmen’s workshop. In 1861 he was given the license of trade by the council of the town Pécs. His son built an up to date tannery and glove factory around the beinning the twentieth century.
The fashionable and excellent quality gloves of „J. Hamerli Glove Factory” achieved reputation and fame to the company and Pécs too. Dynasties of workers were emlpoyed by the company. These traditions and techniques descended from father to son.
“The Hamerli Glove Factory”
On the 4th of October, 1861, János Hammerli tanner and glove maker got his licence fro the city council of Pécs. He manufactured leathers of perfect quality in his small workshop. He produced marketable gloves, made of velvety soft nappa and galcé-kid leather , even opposed to German and French goods. Hamerli had not only learnt the craft throughly, but proved the excellent trader too. In 1862 he sold his gloves in his own shop in Pécs and in 1865 already in Vienna as well. His aim was to step beyon he frontiers of the country with his products and to measure his knowldege with the highly developed glove glove trade of Grmany and France. For a few decades his glove factory had occupied a dignified place in the industrial and commercial life of Pécs. After his death his sons enhanced the reputation of of the firm. After a large scaled improvement, executed at the turn of the century, the business relations of the firm expanded further, both in Hungary and abroad. The Hamerli glovs were in great demand in the metropolises of other continents too, beside Western-Europe. In 1936, due to their raliable delivering ability and good reputation established in the commercial world, thy were given the honour to prepare the gloves of George IV. and his household for the crowning of the ruler.
The Hamerli firm has been working for almost nine decades and during this time, they had manufactured and sold four million pairs of gloves.
The successor of Hamerli Company, the Hunor/Beatrix Glove Manufacturing Ltd., today as a privately (family) owned company again, offers its collection int he spirit of the company’s old history.
The high quality manufacturing is helped even today by the knowledge of trade traditions, techniques and craftmanship. Thanks to the classic table cutting technology, Hunor/Beatrix gloves made of superior quality loving leather provide elegance, excellent fitting and comfort feeling.
The company buys the gloving leather from famous tanneries, from Italy, England, Germany and the United States. The choice is enriched by various forms of handsewing and machinestitching(piquet, prix-seam, inseam and links) which requires attention and precise work.
The classic handsewing and the special links stitching widen our offer. The different decoration of fancy gloves are made by hand or by spcial decorating machines.